Goodbye!

This journey has certainly been a fast one! Jo and I have sped through the different stages of the project at high speed, having to make quick decisions with confidence at every turn. A point in fact though, is that this method has provided us with a project that was not held back or hindered at any point. In fact, I am convinced that had we spent hours jointly discussing the pros and cons of each move, we would have, without a doubt, made the same final decisions that we made in reality.

I am incredibly proud of the work that we have done and feel that its grounding in theory from Doug Belshaw’s 8 elements of digital literacies have underpinned our project. These 8 elements were at first a little difficult to understand coming to the project in our first week with no prior knowledge of what the project was about or which direction we should take, but as soon as we took them away to apply to our data, the mist cleared. I have to say that our colour coding method to identify each element in our raw data was extremely successful and having spent so much time working with the statements, could talk about our pie charts without even having a colour index to hand. Even though we made the quick decision to assign colours to elements, whenever I now see the word confidence it is blue, the word creative it is purple, the word culture it is red….well, I think you get the picture.  

This time I can finally tell you about how my final mapping of our data onto the SCONUL framework turned out. After completing Humanities and Social Sciences and Science, I began to see definite patterns in the kind of statements that did not only quite fit into the model, but also with those that could not fit in at all. The same types of statements were appearing across all of the faculties- for one, this was a sure sign that even though we were using a different lens to look at the data than Doug’s 8 elements, there were certain aspects of digital literacies that all FLCs expected. Secondly though, and most interestingly, it was possible to group at least some of these gaps in the framework to fit Doug’s 8 elements- unfortunately, the other remaining statements were at times quite specific. Nonetheless, at least for SCONUL, this draft framework could definitely benefit from our findings.

The fact that similar projects have been developing in other Universities around the UK has been incredibly exciting and the idea that our work could actually have an impact somewhere has certainly been a drive. Being part of this project has actually improved my digital literacies- I had never heard of a wiki before or posted a blog. I am really looking forward to learning how this project moves forward and following the rest of its journey: keep blogging! All the best!

Advertisements

About charlottemltucker

University of Bath PriDE Project data analyst MA Contemporary European Studies: Politics, Policy and Society (Euromasters) student at University of Bath and Universidad Carlos II de Madrid Spanish Linguistics BA (hons) at The University of Southampton
This entry was posted in Digital Literacies Statements. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s